From now until March 17, get this pattern free with purchase of any 1 skein of Knitting in France DK weight! Scroll to the bottom for details!
Pattern will be $1.00 until the start of the MKAL. Once it begins, it will go up to $3.00 for the remainder of the MKAL. Sign-up page:http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/deviousrose/topics/3393369. Watch this space and/or my social media for discounts and temporary freebie codes for this MKAL.
Infestation is an advanced lace cowl designed for one skein of Knitting in France DK weight. The lace pattern is my own, inspired by nature and not a stitch dictionary. It is inspired by the calla lily, my favourite flower, and thistles, as well having read The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett too often. I have not seeing either of these plants much since I’ve lived in the desert, and this pattern calls out to these beautiful structures and to the scenery I imagine whenever I read The Secret Garden. Given this, Infestation is of course a springtime cowl, with very open lace, suited for cool or even slightly warm weather as a couture accessory, able to be dressed up or down. The pattern is both fully charted and fully written, and includes instructions for working flat and in the round as well as custom sizing.
This yarn has shading that adds depth and dimension to the lace pattern, and blocks beautifully. I frogged it often, and did not pill or fuzz despite being merino, and has weathered being shunted around everywhere at the bottom of my backpack while stuffed in a project bag.
Pattern is currently in testing, so the MKAL will begin once that is over, anywhere from March 21-March 27. Infestation is very much a springtime accessory not meant for cold weather, so don’t fret! Once schedule is determined “Week x” will be replaced with actual dates. In the mean time, the MKAL sign-up thread is: TBD
- Week 1- Clue 1: Scattering the Seeds (in which we set up our pattern)
- Week 2- Clue 2: Renewal (in which we work a lace inspired by thistles and wild lilies)
- Week 3- Clue 3: In the Garden (in which we section off our wild plants, whose presence we have in our garden)
Skill Level: Thorny! Knitting several stitches into 1, changing stitch count, centered double decrease, sl1k2tog psso (or ssk), sl1k1 psso or ssk, k2tog, yo, and ability to follow charts OR written instructions. And of course, knit and purl.
- 1 skein Knitting in France DK weight, 231-246 yds/100 grams. 2 skeins for a larger cowl. As written, pattern used ~210-225 yards. If substituting yarn, make sure to pick something with good stitch definition, bonus points if slightly shiny. This is a lace pattern that can get easily lost in yarns that are a bit fuzzy.
- 4.5 mm/US 7 needles
- 2.25-3.0 mm crochet hook for crochet cast on, or do the knitted cast on
- 5 0.5 in/1.5 cm buttons if working flat, none for cowl worked in the round. Each repeat of Clue 2 adds 2 more buttons.
- yarn needle
if you’re on Instagram or Twitter, use #InfestationMKAL when sharing your project photo.
To get MKAL free with yarn purchase:
Simply show me a screenshot of your receipt (you may want to blur any personal emails or addresses) through Ravelry pm. Receipt must have a timestamp that indicates the yarn was purchased on or prior to March 17, 2016. An Etsy cart is not a receipt. Your receipt should look something likehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/p9n2x3gmf66zeul/receipt_example…