Hi there, I while back I had a little game here on the blog in relation with my new passion for this recently discovered technique for knitting socks, 2 in 1 socks. The winner of the game, won a set of 2 yarn balls of my hand dyed yarn to knit her first pair using this technique and in return I asked that the winner later share her experience with the rest of us. The winner was a knitter called MaryJo and this August I received her first account of this project. She has yet to finish her pair so we should be getting more from her later on.
So here comes MaryJo’s post:
Just wanted to thank you for giving me the opportunity and the push I needed to knit two socks at a time, instead of me just saying “I’m going to do it someday.” And thank you for being patient while I got work under control and my daughter married off.
I finally started these June 13th. I figured I could do these without knitting the sample sock. So I cast on.
Had no problem casting on the one sock and then adding the second sock to the needles and joining in the round. The problem came when I started to do the ribbing. I thought I was following Kate Atherley’s directions on moving the yarn forward and back, but it didn’t work, was obviously not separated as it should be. Took it all out and redid it again. Still no luck. Took it out once more, and redid it. Nope, not right. Work at that point got busy again, so I put it aside, deciding when I picked it up again, I needed to do the sample sock.
I was in New York for a convention at the end of July, and I took the sock, along with some worsted weight yarn, with me. On Wednesday, July 29th, I sat in my hotel room and cast on with the worsted weight yarn for my sample sock. I quickly realized that either I was reading the directions wrong on the ribbing or the directions were wrong. (Although on the project page, no one else seemed to have the same problem I was having.) What I found worked for me was:
K1 Y1, move yarn to front
K1 Y2, leave yarn in back
P1 Y1, leave yarn in front
P1 Y2 move yarn to back
Once I figured it out, I stopped working on my sample and went back to the socks themselves. I would like to say that the ribbing on the socks went quickly, but it didn’t. I disliked doing it, and it seemed to take forever. I could only get two rows done before I would have to put it aside. I persevered and by Saturday, I was ready to start the body of the sock. I have to say, it was kind of exciting to see the two socks separate as I was knitting the ribbing.
Breathing a sigh of relief that the ribbing from hell was over, I started purling the outside sock and knitting the inside sock. It was a little awkward at first as I throw my yarn and don’t knit continental and do very little colorwork. But once I got the hang of two-handed knitting, I was off. On the train coming home from New York, I was happily knitting away. Knit about an inch and then stopped to admire my two separate socks. Uh-oh. Somewhere near the beginning of the body of the sock I had one stitch that got messed up and my two separate socks were no longer separate. How hard can it be to drop the stitches down and pick them up again? Can’t be that hard, right? Wrong. Trying to find the exact stitches, dropping them, and then picking back up was not as easy as I thought because of the socks being in the way of each other. I guess hard is not the right word, just kind of awkward and fiddly. Anyway, I fixed it and began to knit a few more rows. Uh-oh. Yes, it happened again.
Into time-out it went for the rest of the train ride and until this past Friday evening when I had a chance to sit down with it again. Since it was only two rows back, I just tinked back a stitch at a time until I got to the errant stitch and fixed it. Learned my lesson, I’m checking after each row to make sure I haven’t crossed stitches again.
I noticed I’ve got a little bit of laddering between needles, but that should work out when I’m done and give it a bath. I have about two inches done, so not sure how long it’s going to take me to get to the heel since I can only work on it sporadically. I’m keeping my sample close by for when I get to the heel, because I’m sure I’m going to need it then.
I am enjoying learning new techniques with this sock and find it addicting. If I make them again, though, I would seriously consider doing the ribbing separate and then putting them all on one needle and starting the sock, if that would be possible.
Thank you again for your patience. I will continue to keep you posted.
Thank you MaryJo for sharing your first impressions of this new technique. I agree with a lot of the issues you had to begin with. I too disliked the ribbing part and I too found myself mixing my yarns up in just this one random spot making them siamese twins rather than 2 separate socks!
But there is never anything “dangerous” with knitting and mistakes are there to help us understand and get better! I’ve stuck with this technique and I have now found my own method of knitting this way and I can even enjoy ribbing this way now. I do understand that this is a technique that does not suit everyone but it is fun to try, even if it is just once.
I’ll be telling you more about this type of sock knitting in a later post and I might even do a video tutorial to show you how I now knit this way. Also if you feel tempted to give this technique a try, I cannot stress enough the importance of first knitting the pair of test socks that Kate gives in her pattern. Using 2 different colored yarns in worsted weight will really help you understand how this works.
If you don’t remember my previous posts on this technique you can click here for some further info.
That’s all for today so take care and enjoy your crafting until next time 🙂